Watch me ramble incoherently!! Wait no, that's not right... This is my blog. I hope you enjoy it. If you have opposing views, please comment; I love stimulating conversation. But if you're an idiot or a troll, stay away. Seriously. *sprays can of Idiot Repellent*
Sunday, June 10, 2012
Joe Meenan-"Is the luxury of an item more important than it's potential to be enjoyed?"
This... is really difficult. This is a hard question to answer, mostly because of how important both are in considering the purchase or value of any item or experience.Well, let me start at the beginning, then. I was recently in a conversation on facebook about luxury cars, dream cars, cars that one would only buy given an exorbitant amount of money. Or an amount commonly accepted as exorbitant. The initial question was the title of the (in the opinion of some, needlessly) famous Lloyd Banks track "Beamer, Benz or Bentley". My reply was D: none of the above. Instead, I said that I would much rather have either a Ford GT (a car with a legendary racing pedigree, but admittedly a bit light on luxuries and extras) or an Aston Martin DB9 (a car with both a gigantic engine and a very luxurious interior). Now their responses aside, this is an interesting question. Would I rather have the sheer speed of the Ford or the lesser speed, but greater luxury and comfort of the DB9? My answer to that one? Well, I would have to go with the DB9. Given that two items or options are of equal quality, the question becomes simple: is the luxury option better than the fun option? Simple isn't easy, though. A more luxurious version of the an item does not make said version better than the previous model (ie., adding 3D to a TV's new model does not necessarily a better TV make). To be perfectly honest, the only way to answer this question is on a case by case basis. Look long and hard at that new TV, and think before buying that new car just for the new GPS system in it. It is not what is had, but what is enjoyed that makes life beautiful. Hey, look at that. I think we have our answer, kids. Enjoy what you have. Buy what you need. Do what you love. And drive a Ford GT at least once (heh heh heh...).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree completely. It really does need to be case by case. A lot of it depends on the sacrifice between it too. Not just on the money front, but also, as you put it, the luxury front. Do I sacrifice luxury for speed? Do I really need to spend 1000 bucks on a new TV when the one I have works perfectly fine?
ReplyDeleteI think it's a all individual.
Very good answer I think. I'd like to suggest one for next week. I just gotta figure out what that is... LOL
lol, take your time.
ReplyDelete